In These Troubled Times
In an increasingly secular, materialistic and individualistic age, the argument is put Judeo-Christianity is of little, if any, significance or relevance. In Western societies like Australia, Judeo-Christianity, for all its sins, underpins and safeguards our political and legal systems and contributes much in areas like health, education, welfare, literature, music and the arts.
Christianity Matters is a vital read for anyone interested in religion, Christianity in particular, and who wants to know more about the challenges and threats faced by religion in Australia and Western societies today. Through this collection of essays, readers will gain a better understating of the sins and failures of the Church and how Christianity offers the road to human flourishing and inner peace and spiritual fulfilment.
CONTRIBUTORS & ESSAYS
* Kristian Jenkins - Introduction
* Cardinal George Pell - God: Home Alone in Australia?
* Martyn Iles - Christianity and Citizenship
* Stuart Piggin - First Australians and Australia First: The Story of Maria Yellomundee
* Peter Craven - Literature, Music and the Arts
* Stephen Elder - The Challenge of Preserving Catholic Education in a Post-Christian Society
* Stephen Chavura - Universities
* Tim Costello - For the Body and Soul
* Augusto Zimmerman - Under God and the Law
* Peter Rosengren - Christianity’s Sins
* Wanda Skowronska - Christianity Under Attack
* Tess Livingstone - Christianity: The Way Forward